Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Where's Dommy?

Currently staying in Baghso, about 2km away from McLeod Ganj, in Dharamsala. McLeod Ganj is pretty overloaded with tourists so I'm staying in this area, where it's more chilled out. Excellent little bakery, had the banana cake with a coffee this morning (Rs45). Tomorrow having the chocolate cake (just try and stop me).
I have to say though, to anybody worried about travelling alone in India, there really is nothing much to worry about. Just be sensible, and pleasant and remember your manners. Especially if you are a woman, people will go out of their way to help you. On trains, people are falling over themselves to help me with my bags, and buses are hailed for me. The most I worry about is getting overcharged, but that has never happened as yet. I could be lucky but I prefer to think that people appreciate foreigners who are respectful. If I get ripped off then so be it, I try my best to be careful but at the end of the day you want to remember that whilst you were travelling you remembered your manners and made your mama proud.
So aside from that little speech (intense huh? I know I'm surprised), if you want somewhere to kick back and chill, this is the place. And the view? Divine, although of course now the monsoon is almost here (it's early this year), but the weather is a nice refreshing change from 40degrees in Varanasi...

No comments:

Post a Comment